Winter Break

December service hours: 8

Total service hours: 16

We have completed one whole semester of pharmacology woohoo! I took our last block exams of the semester and I feel so free. I am happy with how the exams went this morning and now I’m ready to kick start my break. I was able to squeeze in another 8 hours of service with St. Joseph Hospice. This time around, I helped work their front desk by welcoming visitors and performing patient rounds again. I also helped them make admissions packets in the office. The volunteer coordinator told us that she is planning on starting a new program for the volunteers to help out with. This program would be for patients in the community or in nursing homes and essentially the volunteers would be assigned a family to help. We could be asked to stay with the patient at their home for a bit while their family member is out getting groceries or doing something as simple as visiting the hospice nursing home patients. I am enjoying my time volunteering with St. Joseph’s. Everyone is so passionate about their jobs and is willing to do anything to make the patient as well as their families comfortable. It’s so refreshing to be around people who make patient care and comfort their number one priority. Even though my volunteer tasks are small, everyone is extremely grateful to have me and the other volunteers there. I haven’t had much time since leaving high school to get out in the community and do service work like this, so it feels like I’ve been welcomed home. I can’t wait to update the blog with what’s new in the new year!

Comments

Popular Posts